Johannesburg, 29 June 2016 – On Tuesday 28 June, Riversands Incubation Hub hosted a guest lecture by Ernest Corbett, founder and owner of Century Property Developments, Tintswalo Lodges and Tintswalo Property Group. The experienced businessman who started the Century group of companies from humble beginnings and built it into a thriving property and hospitality empire talked to entrepreneurs about goal-setting for business success.
Corbett’s lecture was lively, witty and thought-provoking. Many of the entrepreneurs were left inspired by his authenticity and expressed they learnt a lot from his life and business experience. According to Corbett, entrepreneurs must:
- Set goals – It’s important to have a long-term target and identify “the prime intention.”
- Have a purpose or policy – The policy is the why you want that goal, “the rules of the game”. It’s a definite course or method of action to guide and determine future decisions, it’s also wisdom or prudence. “Business and life is a game, you must have rules otherwise it’s a disaster. Big companies survive because they have strict policies and everyone understands what they should and shouldn’t do. You can’t play business in you don’t have rules and your staff must know the rules,” said Corbett.
- Have plans – These are short range broad intentions as to the handling and achieving of the purpose and goal. A plan is usually based on observation of potential to expand the business or reason or event for initiating a strategy.
- Have programmes – These are a series of steps in sequence to carry out a plan or plans and they must have timeframes.
- Have projects – These are a sequence of steps written to carry out the phases of a programme.
- Have orders / “the battle plan” – These are weekly targets set to be achieved to complete the projects. According to Corbett, this is “the battle plan” and a living tool that must be followed regardless of the distractions. “You must have some motivation that is stronger than anything so nothing derails you from your battle plan. There are too many things that could stop you, but you must be self-determined – you can all do well, there’s no reason you can’t,” advised Corbett.
- Have an ideal scene – This is a list of things that get one excited – it’s the state of affairs envisioned by policy – it’s when everything is perfect.
- Have a valuable final product – This is a state where you offer something of value to customers and “is your guarantee of success and survival.”
The businessman will be meeting with some of the entrepreneurs to check on their progress with regard to goal-setting for business success. Riversands Incubation Hub is honoured to have a person of Corbett’s stature share valuable knowledge with entrepreneurs and will continue to invite thought leaders of his calibre to share their knowledge.
By Simangele Mzizi