Makere Thekiso from Callback Dreams had a wonderful experience when he was chosen to join an educational trip to Bangalore, India for a week in May with Investec’s entrepreneur initiative. He was part of a group of 14 media entrepreneurs ranging from digital agencies, production studios and OTT platforms (content providers that distribute streaming media as a standalone product) who were there to study new trends.
They visited a total of 14 companies in the Silicon Valley of India ranging from specialist film production studios to digital agencies and an e-commerce site with 14 million daily users which has attracted $16bn investment from Walmart!
“The biggest thing I learnt is that if your company does not have a digital strategy, it’s in big trouble. It was also amazing to realise that Callback Dreams is on the right track with our business. There are many new solutions we are going to implement in our company moving forward. Networking with other entrepreneurs and social media influencers was another fascinating part of the trip,” remarked Thekiso.
Some of the companies the group visited included:
- Ingenious Faces: Experiential company that runs various programmes around the world to help individuals accelerate their growth and knowledge through a global network of entrepreneurs, mentors, start-ups and universities.
- Inner Eye World Films: Film production studio with clients such as National Geographic, Volvo, ABB and many others.
- Imerse Studios: Full 360 VR film studio dedicated to producing exceptional VR content for clients.
- Clique: Next generation digital agency.
- Flipkart: India’s biggest tech story. Walmart has recently made a $16bn investment in the company. They have over 14 million users on their e-commerce site every day.
- Meltwater: Analytic company with its own software which harnesses the power of artificial intelligence to give businesses better insight into the data they capture. Google and Facebook are their biggest clients and they also have offices in South Africa.
- Canvilicious: Digital agency that builds brands through effective research using stories as a tool.
- 22 Feet Tribal: Biggest digital agency in India with clients such as McDonalds, Uber, L’Oréal, Nike, eBay and Levis.
“It was a fabulous trip and well worth the R5 000 application fee. In addition to the companies, we also visited some great cultural spots in Bangalore on our day off. We all enjoyed hanging out in the Silicon Valley of India!” said Thekiso.